Re: [Freetype] Question on Unicode characters with different TTF

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Question on Unicode characters with different TTF
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:37:39 +0400

On Monday 05 August 2002 8:29 pm, Cindy Mak wrote:
|  Thanks!
|
|  I would like to ask why those Chinese glyphs can be shown in Win2000
|  environment with these 2 fonts?

As Holger said: most likely, Windows 2000 creates "composite fonts" (one
fonts, which consist of several physical fonts with different Unicode
sunranges)

If you can afford to install KDE3 (which uses Qt3) - you will see same effect.
Qt3 creates composite fonts, and substitutes missing glyphs from another
fonts.

|  Do these fonts have some links to other unicode fonts or other tricks so
|  that the Chinese glyphs can be shown?

I guess, you need to do following first:
* install Chineese fonts.
To do so:
a) launch http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
b) select Update Microsoft Internet Explorer
c) select Support for Chineese language (fonts)
 You can add also Korean and Japaneese fonts exactly in the same way.
(mincho, ms hei, ms gothic)
d) press download.
Than search what MS downloader downloaded to your disk. :-)
Most likely, you will find mingliu.ttf in c:/windows/fonts

* test them with FreeType
NOTE that in order to display mingliu.ttf correctly with help of FreeType, you
need to enable Bytecode interpreter first.

Regards,

Vadim

|  Cindy
|
|  > On Sunday 04 August 2002 8:36 pm, Cindy Mak wrote:
|  > |  I have a question when displaying charaters which code are >128 (like
|  > | Japanese and Chinese). These characters can show correctly when I use
|  > | Cyberbit.ttf. But if I use font like Tahoma.ttf  or Chicago.ttf, these
|  > | characters cannot be shown correctly (some squares are shown). What is
|  the
|  > | different between these 2 types of fonts and how can these characters
|  > | display correctly?
|  > |

--

Vadim Plessky