Re: [Freetype] True type Korean fonts

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] True type Korean fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:35:34 +0100

Hi Nir,

Nir Rostoker wrote:

> does anyone know of .ttf file of Korean fonts that is quite small ?

Well, I have here a 34K font (name is SoraWin). It is badly hinted,
but correctly hinted it should be about 50K big.

The point is, the glyphs are jamos, not normal Korean characters.
So to use it, you type ql, and you ket the syllable ka. And with
qLQ, you get kak; if you know Korean, you will understand the
trick: q if the glyph for (upper) k; l is the glyph -a, when alone;
and L is for -a-, that is, when there is another glyph below; and
Q is for -k, that is the below form of the k.
Of course, as a result, there is no difference between the k in
ka and the k in say kin, which results in something quite difficult
to read for any casual Korean...

> As far as I have seen the average size is around 1000K which is huge....
> Does anyone know where can I find much smaller font files ?

I do not believe you'll find anything useful that will be smaller;
in fact, the ones I have here are more in the 3-5M size rather than
1M. Of course, this is probably because they have all these
Hanja characters... Only Hangul can be probably much lighter, but it
then depends on your needs...

Antoine