Re: [Freetype] Printing (PostScript)

From: Thomas Hudson
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Printing (PostScript)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:06:53 -0800

What we do is extract the glyph outlines and write them as filled paths.
Have a look at FT_Outline_Decompose.

Thomas

On Friday, December 14, 2001, at 11:18 AM, Ian Britten wrote:

Hi all,
When using FreeType, how does one normally go about getting the desired
fonts into a PostScript file?
[ Disclaimer - I don't 'know' PostScript, but I've got to be able to
print our stuff, so I'm just talking at an abstract level here... ]

When drawing, you obviously render them to a bitmap and draw that to the
screen.  However, this is unacceptable to put into a file, primarily
because of the pixelization at large sizes.  PostScript vs TrueType font
names also have me unsure how to proceed...

Specifically, some things that have me wondering are:
- If I have a TrueType fontname, what do I do with it?  I've seen some
  reference to PostScript supporting TrueType, but can anyone verify (or
  clarify) this for me?
- FreeType seems to work mostly with glyph indicies.  Somehow I don't
  think I can put the index into the PostScript file (especially if it
  is a TrueType font that is being used).  What does one normally do?
  Call FT_Get_Glyph_Name() for every glyph?
- Anyone know anything about Unicode?  If I'm drawing Farsi, or a
double-byte font, after I FT_Load_Glyph() to get the appropriate glyph,
  what do I do with it?

Sorry if this is naively simple, or has been discussed before (although
I don't see anything like it in the list archives..).  Right now, I'm
just looking for a push in the right direction...
Thanks,
Ian