Re: [Freetype] Re: PS Type1 vs. TrueType

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: PS Type1 vs. TrueType
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:03:55 +0200

Hi Juliusz,

Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :

> Correct.  You are not allowed to modify glyphs within the Lucidux
> fonts, or to add new glyphs.  The only modification allowed is adding
> composites (but only using seac).
>
> The reason for these restrictions is that B&H are very concerned about
> the integrity of their fonts.  The only reason we could accept those
> restrictions is that Lucidux are brilliantly hinted the way they
> stand.
>
> (Although, to be frank, they still miss a few glyphs; they don't cover
> all of Adobe Standard.)

Interesting. Are you allowed to distribute when "compressed" to
a more efficient format like CFF or OpenType though ??

> DT>     You basically cannot parse directly
> DT>     a font file in memory, since you'll need to "decode" the
> DT>     ridiculous "encryption" and hex strings before.
>
> You can avoid hex by using the PFB format.  You can avoid encryption
> by setting lenIV to -1 (undocumented, and therefore not supported by
> all Type 1 renderers).

The problem is that we need to support fonts that are not available
in PFB (and where the license prevents convertion), and the _many_
fonts that are encrypted.

There are maybe some ways to avoid "decompressing" the font in memory
by ckever use of filtered streams, but I haven't explored this issue.

Until then, using Postscript fonts is a memory footprint nightmare !!

Regards,

- David