Re: Problem compiling freetype with bcc32 v5.5

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Problem compiling freetype with bcc32 v5.5
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:55:37 +0100

Halo,

[I have no access to the newsgroup borland.public.cpp.commandlinetools
 Please relay my answer to them.]

Erwin Dieterich wrote:

> I tried to compile freetype (http://www.freetype.org) with the
> free Borland C++ 5.5. Some programs compile, but then I get
> the following error message:
>
> Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
>         bcc32 -c -oarch\win32\gw_win32 @MAKE0001.@@@
> Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
> arch\win32\gw_win32.c:
> Error E2356 C:\Borland\BCC55\include\winbase.h 6974: Type mismatch in
> redeclaration of 'AccessCheckByTypeResultListAndAuditAlarmByHandle'
> Error E2344 C:\Borland\BCC55\include\winbase.h 6952: Earlier declaration
> of 'AccessCheckByTypeResultListAndAuditAlarmByHandle'
> *** 2 errors in Compile ***
>
> What is going wrong?

Between release 5.4 and release 5.5, some identifiers were added to
the Windows header(s). Two of them is more than 48 characters long,
and only differ beyond the 48th characters.  The Makefile passes to
BCC32 the argument -i48, which limit signifiance of identifiers to 48.
Hence the problem.

The problem is that the Makefile you use is intended to be compatible between
BC++4.0 (where the default is 32, which is insufficient to properly compile
Freetype) and the latest compilers (where the default have been set higher,
because of the Windows headers).  So I choose a compromise and set the max
identifier length to 48. It appears it was insufficient.

I now change it to 64, and it appears to work (tried BC 5.5 and BC 4.0).

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Antoine