emacs-tangents

Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 20:37:46 -0400

  > In addition, you can pay money to train your own model (via fine-tuning) on
  > top of Open AI's model.  Most other providers also let you do this.  The
  > model is "yours", and the training is controlled by you with no
  > restrictions I know of. You can't separate it from the underlying model
  > (for technical reasons).  I don't know the legal aspects of restrictions on
  > using your own fine-tuned model, but you still access it via SaaSS.

Thanks for informing me about this -- it is interesting.  However, in
regard to freedom and control, it doesn't really change things.

That scheme is the neural network equivalent of making a patch set
with which to modify the standard version of a program.

If you could get your own copy of the program source, apply your patch
set, and run that patched version, you'd have control over that
version.  Under a suitable free license, that would amount to free software.
The situation with TeX is that way.

But what they are doing makes it SaaSS all the way.

It's legitimate to offer a service of virtual servers on which you
can run your choice of system and software.  But systems and software
that you can't extract from those particular virtual servers are not
free software.