emacs-tangents

Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)

From: Lucien Cartier-Tilet
Subject: Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:28:26 +0200

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Can't we, i.e. GNU, offer a server where you can run FOSS
> programs that offer services?
>
> Wouldn't that be "their" software to people who use it?
>
> They could improve the software like any other FOSS project
> and, if necessary even, fork it to also run on the
> server alongside.

This is exactly what a French non-profit organisation (Framasoft [1])
does, they offer multiple services with FOSS software such as:
- Framadate (simple polls),
- Framaform (alternative to Google Forms),
- Framapad (alternative to Google Docs),
- Mobilizon (event plannifier),
And quite a few others, I’ll let you check the list of their services [2].

They are even the main developers of both PeerTube, an AGPL video
service on the Fediverse, and of Mobilizon which I mentioned above and
which is also AGPL.

[1] <https://framasoft.org/en/>
[2] <https://degooglisons-internet.org/en/>

--