emacs-tangents

Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is ChatGTP SaaSS? (was: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 00:52:01 +0200

Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>>> I do not fully agree here. A number of more powerful LLMs
>>> have very limiting hardware requirements. For example,
>>> some LLMs require 64+Gbs of RAM to run:
>>
>> That is true, and it is unfortunate. There may be no
>> practical way to run a certain model except for SaaSS.
>>
>> That does not alter the injustice of SaaSS. So we should
>> not silence our criticism of SaaSS in those cases,
>
> This is a rather theoretical consideration, but, talking
> about ChatGTP (owned by OpenAI) specifically, should it even
> be considered SaaSS?

Can't we, i.e. GNU, offer a server where you can run FOSS
programs that offer services?

Wouldn't that be "their" software to people who use it?

They could improve the software like any other FOSS project
and, if necessary even, fork it to also run on the
server alongside.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal