Re: [Dvdrtools-users] dvdrecord speed question

From: Matthew Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] dvdrecord speed question
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:15:31 +0000

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:40:29 -0500
Kevin <address@hidden> wrote:

> A few days back i posted a question stating that i had
> successfully recorded on 1x DVD-Rs at 2x speed.  I now
> see that this is inaccurate.
>
> While i was giving dvdrecord the "speed=2" command, i
> failed to notice that was actually falling back to 1x
> during the burn.  Does anyone here know why this is?
> My burner is supposed to support 4x and below.

The discs contain information in their header which tell the burner what
speed they are rated at. It will refuse to burn discs at higher than
their rated speed, and will ignore the speed= parameter.

For the Pioneer 104, there have been released some unofficial "hacked"
firmwares which will allow you to burn any disc at 2x. However, using
these, I was unable to burn any disc at *less* than 2x (speed=1 was
ignored) which of course produced coasters when trying to burn 1x discs,
so I gave up and went back to the official firmware.

However, you have the Pioneer 105, for which I'm not aware of any such
firmware.

HTH

Matthew