[Dvdrtools-users] [OT] ATAPI DVD-RAM Now Uses "scd#" device ...

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] [OT] ATAPI DVD-RAM Now Uses "scd#" device ...
Date: 24 Oct 2002 23:21:53 -0400

I guess I haven't used my DVD-RAM drive on a kernel 2.4 system.  The
kernel has now changed so you use the _same_device_ for both "read" and
"rewrite" -- at least for my new Gen3 ATAPI DVD-RAM drive.

It used to be that I used the following devices with my old Gen1 SCSI
DVD-RAM:
  /dev/scd# (SCSI CD) -- Read
  /dev/sdX (SCSI Disk) -- Rewrite

Same deal under Windows, I used one drive for Read (I liked to use R:),
another for Rewrite (via WriteUDF! software, I liked to use W:).

Now it's just the first one, /dev/scd#, for _all_ operations.  That
means I have a _single_ line in /etc/fs that reads:
   /dev/scd0   /mnt/cdrom     auto    noauto,user  0 0

And it works with all media, read-only and rewrite.  Very sweet IMHO!

I wonder if this is how it works for CD-RW drives as well?  Anyone have
a CD-RW drive to try it?  I guess kernel 2.4 has a "packet write"
interface now?  God I'm so behind here (my DVD-RAM drive is on a kernel
2.2 system).

Is that how the beta drivers out there for DVD-RW and DVD+RW do it too?

-- Bryan

P.S.  Note, this doesn't have _anything_ to do with "record" mode.
AFAICT, that is still via the "/dev/sg#" (SCSI generic), which puts the
"brains" in the recording software.

P.P.S.  Just read some 4 year old 5.2GB Gen1 DVD-RAM disks.  All data is
100% intact AFAICT (random testing).

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA