[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Difference between dvdrtools and cdrecord-prodvd?

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Difference between dvdrtools and cdrecord-prodvd?
Date: 15 Oct 2002 00:05:18 -0400

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 10:17, Dr. Tilmann Bubeck wrote:
> Could you tell me, what the difference is, between dvdrtools and
> cdrecord-prodvd? As far as I can tell, both are for writing dvd-rw
> (minus). Is there any fundamental difference between them (license?,
> features?)?

The licensing of cdrecord-prodvd is non-GPL.  dvdrtools is a fork of the
GPL code.

> What is the better supported dvd format for linux? os it dvd-rw or dvd+rw?

Actually, for "re-writing" it's DVD-RAM -- especially if you want
long-term archives.  It's been supported for over 4 years.  But its
really for archiving, not consumer use, because the added media
reliability has the nasty downside of being incompatible with most
players.

Fortunately 3rd generation DVD-RAM drives also support "recording"
DVD-R(G), just like DVD-RW drives.  Unfortunately, the "recording" mode
of those 3rd gen DVD-RAM drives aren't supported with dvdrtools yet.

> To me it seems, that dvd+rw is the faster

Not unless you use more than half the disk.

DVD-RW/R(G) is 2x CLV -- constant linear velocity throughout so _always_
2x.

DVD+RW is 2.4x CAV -- constant angular velocity.  This means it can be
_slower_ on inner tracks -- as much as only 1.2x.  Although it _can_
read at 4-8x though.

DVD+RW drives also burn/rewrite CD-R/RW discs faster than DVD-RW.  Of
course much faster CD-R/RW only drives are under $40 -- an order of
magnitude cheaper.  ;-P

> and better format,

Er, not really.  I've followed Sony/Philip's "non-standard" DVD for a
long time.  From the Japan-only 3GB release in 2000 to the 1st
generation "rewrite" DVD+RW drive that does _not_ even have a "record"
format.

S/P originally promised that only a "firmware" update would be required
to support "record" DVD+R, but they renig'd on that and only support it
in 2nd gen DVD+RW drives.

And while "rewrite" DVD-RW and DVD+RW are both only ~70-75% compatible
in players and "even," "record" DVD-R(G) is far more compatible (almost
100%) than DVD+R -- which is still being debated, but it seems the same
as DVD+RW, about only 70-75%.

> but it seems to lack good software support.

> Is this right? does dvdrtools support dvd+rw?

Actually "rewriting" random access UDF filesystems aka "packet writing"
to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW disks is a _kernel/filesystem_ function,
_separate_ from dvdrtools.  DVD-RAM is the most mature here (4 years),
although both DVD-RW and DVD+RW now have kernel drivers here.

The "record" functionality is what allows ISO filesystems to be "burned"
to DVD-R(G) or DVD+R (or, optionally, "rewrite" media like the were the
same as "record" media, only can be erased).  In this case, dvdrtools
only supports DVD-R(G) on Pioneer DVD-R/RW drives -- not DVD-R(G) on 3rd
gen DVD-RAM drives nor DVD+R on 2nd gen DVD+RW drives either.

> Thanks for your help, couldn't find anything in the FAQ.

Which is why I'm busy writing one.  ;-P

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA