RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Difference between dvdrtools and cdrecord-prodvd?

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Difference between dvdrtools and cdrecord-prodvd?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:38:24 -0400

I'll let someone else describe the differences between the software
applications.

Do not believe everything you read at "dvdplusrw.org" (or people quoting them
as an authority). The site purports to be an independent site not affiliated
with the DVD+RW group.. which I doubt.

dvdplusrw.org's strategy seems to slow adoption of recordable DVD (*either*
format) for the near future. I

I don't want to get into a rant, but at one point dvdplusrw.org claimed DVD-R
could not support "variable bitrate" MPEG2, which if it were true would be a
huge blow to quality. The difference between "FUD/spin" and a "lie" is lies
have 0% truth to the statement. There were many "facts about DVD-R" on their
website that caused me to delay my purchase for months.

dvdplusrw.org also claimed that it was not possible for DVD-R to go beyond 2X,
as if it were a ceiling. Those new Sony 4X DVD-R recorders look sweet... now, I
wonder if the DVD+RW FAQ has been updated to say `DVD-R will never go beyond
4X?` ;-)

But which format you choose is irrelevant -- IF the media plays everywhere you
need it to. Perhaps get someone to burn you test discs you can try, before
buying hardware? I did this before selecting my Samsung DVD video player.

As far as compatibility with DVD-Video players, look at the database:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Blank media *does* make a difference.. my new Samsung DVD-621 plays everything
I throw at it. My Philips DVD-825 plays only certain brands of DVD-R and no
DVD+R at all (but the player is almost 3 years old).

You can be certain a DVD-R will read in an even higher percentage of DVD-ROM
readers -- old or new it is near 100%. Your chances of a DVD+R/W disc reading
in a PC's DVD-ROM drive are not quite so high... many current DVD-ROM readers
won't read DVD+RW.

There are many bargains on first generation DVD+RW (HP 100i), and DVD-R/-RW
(Pioneer LD-311).

To me, even if the prices for DVD+R/W *were* the same for hardware/media --
they're not - DVD+RW still has disadvantages in compatibility (PC or video).
The new Sony recorder is a "dual format" device which seems to be a safe bet (I
have no idea if it works with dvdrtools however!)

-Scott