[Dvdrtools-users] Is dvdrecord able to burn a full 4.7GB ?

From: Matthew Stephenson
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Is dvdrecord able to burn a full 4.7GB ?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:07:49 +0100

I had a directory totalling 4.5GB (as reported by du -shL), and asked
dvdrecord to burn it (piping output from mkisofs, so I don't actually
know the size of the iso file). I got the following error:

dvdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
dvdrecord: Notice: Most recorders cannot write CD's >= 90 minutes.
dvdrecord: Notice: Use -ignsize option to allow >= 90 minutes.
dvdrecord: Notice: Use -overburn option to write more than the official
disk capacity.
dvdrecord: Notice: Most CD-writers do overburning only on DAO mode.

Does this mean that the data I was trying to burn was actually > 4.7GB?
I know hard drive manufacturers often quote 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes and
thus make their discs seem larger than they are - are DVD media doing
this too?

I then tried the -ignsize option, and it barfed:

dvdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
dvdrecord: Notice: Overburning active. Trying to write more than the
official disk capacity.
dvdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
dvdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
dvdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
trackno=0
dvdrecord: Input/output error. reserve track: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 79 E0 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.006s timeout 200s
dvdrecord: Cannot open new session.

I reduced the size to a mere 4GB, and it's currently writing fine.

>From what I can see, I'm likely to be able to get 4-ish GB max onto a
disc.

The media I was using was a Verbatim DVD-RW, drive is a Pioneer 104.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just how it's going to be?

Confused,

Matthew Stephenson