[Dvdrtools-users] HP 200j

From: Schuler Robert W CRBE
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] HP 200j
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:08:40 -0400

Please help. I have installed an HP 200j DVD Burner under Red Hat
Linux GYRO 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:37:53 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

I cannot seem to burn a DVD.

I can burn and erase CD-RW disks.

I installed Red Hat 7.3 in hopes of getting new drivers, but still I cannot
burn a DVD.

The DVD burner is an IDE device and works OK under Windoze.

When I run dvdrecord -scanbus, I get:
address@hidden rschuler]# dvdrecord -scanbus
dvdrtools v0.1.3
Portions (c) 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'HP      ' 'DVD Writer 200j ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

So next I try to burn a small ISOFS.raw file to the DVD:

address@hidden root]# dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 cdimage.raw
dvdrtools v0.1.3
Portions (c) 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'DVD Writer 200j '
Revision       : '1.06'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
dvdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 11 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
dvdrecord: Input/output error. read track info: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  52 01 00 00 00 FF 00 00 1C 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.005s timeout 240s
address@hidden root]#

I have also found the diagnostic from XCDRoast to be interresting.

scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'DVD Writer 200j '
Revision       : '1.06'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per page 2A:

  Does read CD-R media
  Does write CD-R media
  Does read CD-RW media
  Does write CD-RW media
  Does read DVD-ROM media
  Does not read DVD-R media
  Does not write DVD-R media
  Does not read DVD-RAM media
  Does not write DVD-RAM media
  Does support test writing

  Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
  Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
  Does read digital audio blocks
  Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
  Does not support BURN-Proof (Sanyo)
  Does read multi-session CDs
  Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
  Does not read CD bar code
  Does read R-W subcode information
  Does not return R-W subcode de-interleaved and error-corrected
  Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
  Does return CD media catalog number
  Does return CD ISRC information
  Does support C2 error pointers
  Does not deliver composite A/V data

  Does play audio CDs
  Number of volume control levels: 15
  Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
  Does support independent mute setting for each channel
  Does not support digital output on port 1
  Does support digital output on port 2
  Does not send digital data LSB-first
  Does not set LRCK high for left-channel data
  Does not have valid data on falling edge of clock
  Length of data in BCLKs: 16

  Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
  Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
  Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
  Is not currently in a media-locked state
  Does not support changing side of disk
  Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
  Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

  Maximum read  speed in kB/s: 5645
  Current read  speed in kB/s: 5764
  Maximum write speed in kB/s: 2117
  Current write speed in kB/s: 2051
  Buffer size in KB: 2048

Bottom line is I can't burn, and don't know how to proceed. Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Rob Schuler