Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug #4734] extern fields broken in cscc-c

From: Rich Baumann
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug #4734] extern fields broken in cscc-c
Date: 13 Aug 2003 23:45:55 -0400

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:45, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> You shouldn't use glibc's iconv for charset handling - instead, make a new
> iconv that calls through to the C# library's System.Text.Encoding class (and
> ultimately I18N).  The last thing we want is two locale systems in pnet.  But
> anyway, that isn't the bug ...

OK, that should make things easier. What about when we can bootstrap
glibc, though? Won't we have two locale systems then?

> Do you have a test case that includes an extern field definition?  This is a
> function definition, which compiles fine here.

Sorry, I was dealing with getting it built so long my eyes started to
glaze over. I get the same error for both of the following, from the
same file (include/locale.h):

extern struct loaded_l10nfile *_nl_locale_file_list[] attribute_hidden;

extern struct __locale_struct _nl_C_locobj attribute_hidden;

(The attribute_hidden is a shortcut #define from glibc's libc-symbols.h
for a gcc __attribute__(), that I defined to nothing as a workaround.) I
can't seem to reproduce the error by itself. It only shows up in my
attempts at building the glibc iconv (after adding various workarounds)
as a whole. I guess you can close the bug, b/c I have no idea what's
really going wrong here.

Rich