Re: [Pnet-developers] Rhys' TODO list

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Rhys' TODO list
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 01:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lately though, the TODO list has been growing quite big, so I've
> attached a
> copy to this message for people who are interested in helping tackle
> the big  ticket items in the tree.

Thanks Rhys, That is really great!

Here are the things I am interested in. Not that I can deliver anything
running this week. But I can at least start collection information
about these tasks and get a handle on the status of them.

>     - make basic serialization work

Are there any open bugs on this? Any test suites?
I would start by making a test suite that serializes all the different
types of C# structure. Then try serializing out and back in, comparing
the results to the original.

>     - binary serialization
This is what I am interested in alot,
do you think that it is completly crazy to define a dotgnu binary
format? Do you want to be compatible with microsoft?
What about emitting IL bytecode representations of code to create the
objects and sending that?

Now here is a crazy idea : what about ASN.1 support? It is a high speed
binary format that is used in ldap and telecoms programs. Supporting
that would be something I would put real work into.

>     - SOAP serialization
I have been working with gsoap, a c++ component. There are some good
lessons we can learn about soap from them. It seems that the mono soap
serializer is well progressed. When I asked on #mono if they that there
are any know system dependant code, they did not say there would be any
problems porting that.

>     - interoperability testing with MS and Mono
On all the serialization code? Including binary?
There we would also benefit from a test suite.

>     - finish CodeDom and write a test suite
I have done an analysis of the codedom last year. This is definitly
something that I am interested in. In fact, I think we might want to
create dotgnu replacement for thatt, because it is not standard and
part of the patent application : 20030028685
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='20030028685'.PGNR.&OS=DN/20030028685&RS=DN/20030028685
United States Patent Application, 20030028685.
System.CodeDom.Compiler.txt

I have some ideas about how this replacment might look, in fact, my
working model is much more fine tuned, and would allow code on the
finiest expression level to be created.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont