Re: [DotGNU]TextBox

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]TextBox
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:55:05 +1000

On Friday 16 July 2004 11:10 pm, Neil Cawse wrote:

> Rhys is alpha blend support possible with Xsharp? Maybe by grabbing the
> screen underneath the image we are blitting, combining and then writing
> back?

That will cause race conditions and screen artifacts due to the round-trip
time to the server: if another window moves over the drawn area while you are
manipulating the fetched image, then you will get invalid pixels in the area
that is uncovered.  It is also hideously inefficient.

The Xrender extension and/or Cairo is the correct way to do this, which we
will tackle only after everything else works correctly.  The work needed is
mostly in System.Drawing.Xsharp and Xsharp, so it should not affect anyone
working in System.Windows.Forms or System.Drawing.