Re: [DotGNU]TextBox

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]TextBox
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:09:13 +1000

On Monday 19 July 2004 06:00 pm, Thomas Fritzsche wrote:

> using cairo is prettty much the why the mono project would like to
> implement SWF now after they droped the wine approach.

We would use Cairo to implement functionality that X11 cannot provide on its
own (e.g. alpha blending).  It is not "start from scratch".  The vast bulk of
what makes up our WinForms implementation is unrelated to the particulars of
the rendering API.

> Why should dotgnu/mono invent the wheel new?

DotGNU already has this wheel: a system-independent, toolkit-based, non-Wine
approach to building a WinForms implementation from the ground up.  We won't
be re-inventing it.

> Do you think that it would make sense to work together at this issue?

We would certainly be open to any honest approach that the Mono guys might
make on co-operation.  I believe that someone has already managed to get our
WinForms working on Mono, or it would be pretty easy to do so.

We've made co-operation overtures in the past, and it usually doesn't go well
for us.  The ball is in their court this time.  All they have to do is ask.