[DotGNU]Problems with Pnet certain GCC 3.4.1 optimization settings

From: Marcus
Subject: [DotGNU]Problems with Pnet certain GCC 3.4.1 optimization settings
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:40:25 -0500

In the GCC 3.4.0 release, pnet would not build unless some patches from nb
were applied. These patches slowed down executed significantly.

With the GCC 3.4.1 release, pnet compiles fine with conservative optimization
settings. I've tried -O2 -march=athlon-tbird, and that works. However,
tonight I experimented with more aggressive settings: -O3 -march=athlon-tbird
-fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2. The -O3 and
-fomit-frame-pointer optimizations are fairly common, although there is
disagreement about their effect on performance. The
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 was an experiment because in theory, Athlons
might do better with a 2^2 stack boundary (keeping more code in the cache).
(Interestingly, with GCJ, on one benchmark, that flag increased performance
by a factor of 3.)

Anyway, the result was that pnet built, but when compiling pnetlib, cscc
consistently consumed all available memory and effectively locked up my
system.

I just wanted to mention that in case other users were using aggressive
compiler optimizations.