Re: [DotGNU]pnet on Windows

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet on Windows
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:59:33 +1000

On Friday 10 October 2003 02:21 pm, Jason Batchelor wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Oscar!
>
> The only thing in your message that I didn't understand was the
> abbreviations... What is S.W.F and what does S.D. stand for? Does
> S.W.F. = System.Windows.Forms? S.D. ... ?

S.W.F = System.Windows.Forms
S.D = System.Drawing

To port to a new toolkit (e.g. Cocoa), you need to build an assembly called
"System.Drawing.Cocoa", patterned on the existing "System.Drawing.Xsharp" and
"System.Drawing.Win32" assemblies.

Basically, you need to provide an implementation of "IToolkit", which in turn
creates instances of "ITookitWindow", "IToolkitGraphics", etc.  Each of these
will use some mechanism (e.g. PInvoke) to call through to the underlying OS
drawing libraries.

The new toolkit assembly should be hooked into System.Drawing by editing the
"CreateDefaultToolkit()" method.  For testing, you can now set the
PNET_WINFORMS_TOOLKIT environment variable to "Foo" and it will load
"System.Drawing.Foo".  You can also use "ilrun blah.exe --toolkit=Foo" if you
don't want to modify the environment.