Re: [DotGNU]random question

From: minddog
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]random question
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 06:10:03 -0700

On Saturday 08 February 2003 01:50, Thong \(Tum\) Nguyen wrote:
> [...]

Here's my 2 cents:
Object Oriented theory is the topic of conversation, how a syntax can mold
into an Object Oriented Viewpoint is the what we try to do if we would like
to use this practice for certain designs.  Just like Aspect Oriented theory
can be done in any language.

> But that doesn't mean all programming paradigms are equivalent.
>
> i.e. OOP != Logical != Functional
Duh.

> You can "hack" C code to give you something similar to OOP but without
> language support, polymorphism (etc) are a pain to actually implement
> and use.

Not similar but equivalent, and its not language support, its the defined
syntax itself.  It's only a pain if you truly don't understand the syntax you
are working with.  You need to peek inside a language's compiler if you don't
necessarily understand from books or documentation.

> You can sort of do functional programming in C as well, but without the
> language support (lambda expressions, etc) you can't really do useful
> functional programming.

I disagree, I think you need the experience to do such programming.  Although
it is easier if the syntax defines certain designs already from theory, ala
Object Oriented Programming languages and Functional...

> I don't think you want to merge the definitions of different language
> paradigms into one simply because they're all "equivalent" at a
> fundamental level ;-).

Well, for a long time its been tough with AOP... and merging is a great
learning experience ;)

> When talking about Fruit, you can say that Apples and Oranges are
> different.  But at the fundamental level, they're both just energy.

Well a syntax is designed to be easier for the programmer to lean towards
certain design principles in his/her own approach.  I don't think you can
compare something that is logical to an object that is in a defined state.
Maybe you can, but thats outside the conversation ;)

> When talking about programming paradigms, OOP and other paradigms are
> different.  But at the fundamental level, they're both computationally
> equivalent.

Uh huh.  So whats the problem with molding your syntax for your design?
Sometimes you are stuck in an environment that doesn't have the capabilities
of an OO syntax.  ;X  Good luck =)

regards,
--
--minddog( Adam Ballai )

"I try to take it one day at a time, but several of them attack me at once."
-mistyflip