Re: [DotGNU]random question

From: j_post
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]random question
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:32:03 -0800

On Friday 07 February 2003 01:35 pm, you wrote:
> > But just wanted to know what is the increase in overhead
> > between the implementations of C and C++.
>
> Speaking for myself, C is much easier to read, understand and get into.
> When I started working on the System.IO InternallCalls, I was able to jump
> in w/o any real concern about object models, etc. Plus, there are more
> people who are aware of and fluent in C compared to C++.
>
> --Aditya

Amen (my 0.02). Although I've done Java and C# programming, I've never done
any C++ work, and I'm quite fluent in C.

OO languages merely make it easier for the programmer to use OO concepts, but
they can be used with *any* language (not "simulated" either). OOP didn't
appear concurrently with OO languages, rather OO languages were invented to
make OOP easier (although less efficient). Remember, the first C++
"compilers" translated C++ code into C source code that was then processed by
your trusty C compiler (real-life demonstration of the theorem that all
Universal Turing Machines are equivalent ;-). BTW, Rhys, thanks for the
tip-off about brainf*ck--I'm still giggling.

Jeff