RE: [DotGNU]Patches 919 & 920 Add Stubs for SetCreationTime and Impl for

From: Aditya P. Bansod
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Patches 919 & 920 Add Stubs for SetCreationTime and Impl for Directory.Set*Time
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:39:47 -0800

> Hmm... how about picking either stat.st_ctime or
> stat.st_atime ? ... (in theory st_ctime should be the status
> change from "" to "created", right ?) ... The Susv3 standard
> does not clearly mention this ... but would that assumption
> be wrong ?

Well, using utime I can't write to the ctime in the inode, only atime and
mtime. I think st_ctime is changed any time the file is changed, but looking
at the FreeBSD chmod very quickly, I didn't see any times being modified
(altho I didn't look to hard).

Looking at sys/stat.h, it doesn't even seem like a 'creation' time of sorts
if even stored. I thumbed thru what mono did, and it seems like they don't
attempt to set the created time either.

--Aditya