demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Organization of tags

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Organization of tags
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:04:40 +1000

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 21:10 +0200, David MENTRE wrote:

>  o I put as a mandatory requirement that the hierarchy of tags is
>    separate from any classification on the server. It should not
>    influence the official server classification and be orthogonal to
>    it.

I agree. This is an 'add on service', one performed by
say 'Google' or 'Republican Party Classifications' or
'Open Source Software Experts Group Classifications' or
"Oz Scuba Club Classifications' or .. just by the
client 'Politics, Sport, Money, Petol Prices, Hurricanes,
and I'm not interested in anything else .. '

It isn't just grouping: filtering is important too.
Another services would be classified RSS feeds of
new questions, votes achieving quorums, changing
positions on voting, etc etc ..

Politics is a BIG field .. I agree with David,
the core server shouldn't know about any of this:
strict arms length and isolation by protocol is vital
to support the vitality of continued development
of ePolitic forums .. or should that be Fora .. ? :)

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>