debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] Download

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] Download
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:42:01 +0100

Echlin, Michael (2002-01-02 09:40:00 -0500) :

> This is probably really stupid, but, where can I download the latest stable
> release of SF?

The latest stable released version is 2.5.  You can get the tarball
from the Debian mirrors or from
<URI:http://people.debian.org/~lolando/debian/source/sourceforge_2.5.orig.tar.gz>.

> I have version 2.5 up and running from the sf-genericinst-030.tgz
> which was once available on the sf.org site.  I understand the
> latest developments are here somewhere.

  Not entirely true.  We here talk about Debian-SF, a Debian package
for Sourceforge.  It currently is based on SF 2.5, and work is under
way to upgrade to what we call SF 2.6 (even if it's only a CVS
snapshot that was never officially released).  sf-genericinst is
another, independent project, located at
<URI:http://sf-genericinst.sourceforge.net/>.

> I intend to install this on a RedHat 7.2 box, unless someone can
> give me compelling reason to switch to debian. (there will probably
> be no gui on this box so reasons based on kde/... Xwin are noise.)

  Well, it's your choice.  We here support Debian, not Red Hat.  There
are plenty of FAQs explaining why Debian is better than Red Hat, and
there are probably also plenty of FAQs explaining the exact contrary,
so I expect you know what you're doing.

> I liked the sf-genericinst it worked well and I only needed about 12
> hours to get it all running properly.

  *Twelve hours*?  I'd definitely advise using the Debian package
then.  Once you've installed and configured the required packages
(LDAP, PostgreSQL, Exim, etc.), installing the Sourceforge package
takes a matter of minutes (even seconds on a reasonably modern box if
you know your system).

> I also was wondering if there is an RPM inst and or instructions.

  There are tools to convert *.deb packages into *.rpm, but I think
the Sourceforge package uses too many Debian features for that to
work.  Debconf, for a start.  As for the instructions, I don't know
(apart from "apt-get install sourceforge, answer questions on the
screen, start using your Sourceforge", but that's only for Debian).

  Tempted yet? ;-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus.