Re: [certi-dev] Maximum amount of federates

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Maximum amount of federates
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:55:53 +0200

Hi,

Yes! This seemed to be the issue. I added
ADD_DEFINITIONS(-DFD_SETSIZE=128) to CMakeLists.txt and it seemed to
fix the problem.

Nice, thank you for testing.

I suppose we will compile CERTI with 256 just in case... We'll see how
much performance issues that many federates will cause, but 64 is not
really a problem apart from this stupid Winsock limitation.

On modern host I don't you'll hit the performance wall very soon
RTIG as a central point may appear as a kind of bottleneck handling that much
connection (100+) but in fact the limiting factor is certainly the network throughput, i.e.
how many messages (per second) each federate generate.

So handling a 100+ federate shouldn't be a problem unless some if not all of them
tries to generate 200Hz messages...

I don't know if that limit should be risen by default CERTI, but maybe
it should be added as option in CMake.

An option would be good  I think, our average user do not go further
than 20+ federates.

But very much thank you. I think it would have taken quite much time
to realise that issue is not in CERTI but Winsock.

You're welcome.
I have always in mind that I'm convinced that CERTI cannot always be the culprit :-)

More seriously, 64 didn't look like any limit/constant I know in CERTI source code
and I did never hit such a limit on my usual unix environment.

I'm curious why you need more than 64 federates, could you tell us a bit more about that?

L'élection n'est pas la démocratie -- http://www.le-message.org