Re: [certi-dev] Maximum amount of federates (Timi Tuohenmaa)

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Maximum amount of federates (Timi Tuohenmaa)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:24:39 +0200

Hi all,

Hi,

I have been testing bit more.

Now all the tests I have done shows that count is 63 federates that
are working. Adding 64th causes some messages not to work. Often
attrbute updates continue to work, but update requests or new objects
does not come to other federates (RTIG gets that request though) until
one federate is closed. I guess my previous 66 was either
miscalculation or some dead rtia.exe I counted for no reason (also I
probably counted rtig.exe as rtia.exe). 64 is such a number that I
wonder if there is something hardcoded in CERTI to limit it to that
kind of specific count.

I tested this also with basic 3.4.3 version to make sure our fixes
were not causing problems (fixes are in bug tracker).

I haven't found anything from CERTI source yet. I'm pretty sure this
problem is CERTI related and not HLA related so other RTI libraries
does not have same issue (yet they might have other issues when using
high amount of federates).

Interesting.
I have no time right now to investigate that issue but I'd be willing to help.
RTIG is issuing a select on the socket file descriptor.

There seems to be some limit to 64 descriptor on winsock2:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms739169%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Are running your test with windows machine?

-Timi