bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Kernel Modules Compilation (correction)

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Kernel Modules Compilation (correction)
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:06:20 +0300

On Monday 26 May 2003 18:59, Amin Abbaspour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried both removing false modules or compiling them built in,
> but this is not the true way to go, since many modules fail (altough
> even if just one of them fails we should ask ourselves why this
> happens)
>
> By the way, this is not the first time I compile kernel(because of my
> laptop I always use my own kernel), and I've tried all of these
> before asking it in mailing list.
>
> I think the problem is with in gcc version. Kernel Documentations
> recomand gcc 2.95.3, and I have only tested only 3.2 and 2.96.

I don't think that someone shouldn't be able to compile the kernel with
2.96 or with 3.2. As Arash B noted, he compiled his gentto kernel using
3.2. BUT, the ABI of 3.x is different from 2.x, and the best kernel to
compile kernel 2.4.x is gcc 2.x, because 2.4 was made with gcc 2.x is
mind. Linus and the Co are changing the default compiler in 2.6 to gcc
3.x

And as I mentioned earlier, 2.96 is buggy. Many things do not compile
with it. Not just system software, but also applications like MPlayer

Cheers

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri