Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:22:39 +0200

input:
Solve( system : [ z = y+ax, p^tz =0 ],
              for : [ a,z ],
              with : [ Scalar(a), Vector(x), ….. ] )

output:
[ z = y+ax, a = -(p^ty)/(p^tx) ]

That is: dimension independent formulas in, dimension-independent formulas out.

This is underspecified. I have to guess what you mean by Scalar(a) and Vector(a). In fact, to make Axiom able to do anything you must tell in which domain you work. Obviously, in the above input there are two types of multiplication. So you have a field K and a vector space V over K. Then 2 operations *: (K, V) -> V and *: (V, V) -> K. (Let's for a moment forget about the transpose (which you seem to specify by ^t).)

What you would need in any CAS is a calculus that repects these different types of operations *and* their respective properties.

I'm not aware that Axiom has a solver for this, but of course, being a CAS, it would be relatively easy to add a few inference rules to derive your expected result. Look into http://fricas.sourceforge.net/doc/book.pdf and search for ruleset.

I suspect that solving this particular problem is not terribly interesting. You probably have other problems to solve.

Be warned, in any existing CAS you might have to do a little programming to solve your problem. Simply typing something like "solve(problem)" will not work.

Ralf