Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?

From: Victor Eijkhout
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:14:22 +0000

On Jun 1, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> If I understood your problem correctly then you can do it as follows.

It doesn't look to me like you're solving a system of equations. Also, it looks
like you're doing something in 3 dimensions and with specific values: I need
something that will solve symbolically and regardless the dimension. My input
and output should look something like:

input:
Solve( system : [ z = y+ax, p^tz =0 ],
             for : [ a,z ],
             with : [ Scalar(a), Vector(x), ….. ] )

output:
[ z = y+ax, a = -(p^ty)/(p^tx) ]

That is: dimension independent formulas in, dimension-independent formulas out.

Compare it to what I've seen algebra systems do:

input:
Solve ( y = x^2, for : x, with Positive(x) )
output:
x = +- sqrt(y)

input:
Solve( y = x^2, for : y )