Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Solving vector equations; is this possible?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:01:57 +0200

On 06/01/2012 09:37 AM, Victor Eijkhout wrote:
Can someone tell me if the following can be solved in Axiom, and hence
whether I should bother learning the system?

I have two equations in vectors of arbitrary dimension: z = y + ax (a is
scalar, x,y,z vector) & p^t z = 0
(p another vector). Vectors x,y,p are known, vector z and scalar a are
unknown. Assume no two known vectors are orthogonal.

The solution of this isz = y + a x where a = -(p^t y) / (p^t x).

Is this expressible and solvable in Axiom?

If I understood your problem correctly then you can do it as follows.
Of course you can use that in any dimension.

Ralf

(1) -> V := Vector Fraction Integer

   (1)  Vector(Fraction(Integer))

Type: Type