Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating, ...
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:48:24 +0200

Roughly generalized functionals can be taken as the limit of the
sequence of functions that are constrained.  For instance a sequence of
Gaussian curves that shrink in width a have an area of one.  It turns
out the constraints, smaller and smaller footprints, define the limit
more than the particular functional sequence.  This is similar to
considering the real numbers being the limit of sequences of rational
numbers.

Clear to me, but try to explain that to someone who has not studied mathematics and who first thinks in terms of piecewise functions.

You could consider a particular real number as the limit of a
lot rational series; for instance subsequent approximations in different
base systems.

Well, of course, a real number is an eqivalence class of all rational sequences leading to the same "value".

>  Generalized functions have properties that are  useful in
a lot of ways.  For instance a piecewise polynomial can be represented
like I showed.  In the case of Electrical Engineering the representation
can be directly Fourier transformed and written down by inspection.
g(x)==if x>0 then x else -x

he/she should rather write

g(x)=  -x +2*DD^2,
Because it's a "true" function that you can integrate and differentiate
by standard rules; independent of the number of terms.

I have not really something against generalised functions. Maybe it is the same problem with the introduction of the imaginary i. One temporarily works in a much bigger space and comes back to the reals or ordinary functions.

The only problem is in multiplication, D*D, and such.  But there is a
mathematical interpretation that apparently also allows this, but so far
I would say "don't try this at home".

See, this is what I meant. It might be a bit scary for some people.

> I hope to understand this soon.
Why use it?  Well in EE land it's hard to start and stop things
symbolically without step functions.  Differentiating and integrating
step functions drag in the rest of the standard generalized functions. As is typical there are two methods of definition. Extrinsic and
intrinsic definitions.   That is to say direct construction or by
properties.  I like and I think symbolic algebra programs are more
comfortable with intrinsic definitions.  That is to lay down a set of
operational rules and the using them like a machine.   As I said, I and
not 100% clear on how to do this, but am sure it can be done.

Well, if there are rules how to operate with generalised functions, then there should be no problem at all of implementing them in Axiom. One really has to think about a new domain (of generalised functions) in Axiom and what features (signature of the domain) it should export.

Ralf