Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating, ...
Date: 02 Jun 2007 08:46:04 +0200

Dear Bill,

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/358VariableIsApparentlyAlwaysAssumedToBePosi
> tive
>
> > The latter filing is more complete and correctly categorised.
>
> Good. Thanks for submitting the report!
>
> Normally I would add my comments directly to the report, but I think this one
> deserves a little discussion first because it is important to understand what
> Axiom is doing with your commands.

Thanks for your nice explanation.  I temporarily forgot that axiom evaluates
all the arguments before passing them to the function. :-) A feature I *really*
love about axiom, by the way.

Thus it first finds a type for f(x), then for x=-1..1, and then tries to find a
fitting signature for draw.  However, doesn't axiom sometimes try several
signatures, until it succeeds?  Here, it sticks to the very first type it can
find for f(x).  It seems that Axiom assumes that compiling a function with two
different signatures yields the same result.  Well, that's probably reasonable.

I guess we can close the issue.  Maybe we should rename it though?

Martin