anarchdb-devel

Re: [Anarchdb-devel] Re: database layout questions?

From: Francois Gombault
Subject: Re: [Anarchdb-devel] Re: database layout questions?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:45:54 +0100

Karl George Schaefer wrote:
Well, the data tables are a little convoluted. But, at this point they work.

Agreed. =)

Most of us are coming to the code for the first time and will need to become accustomed to it. We also want to hit a release date of less than a week after NoR. We want to keep our users happy and still meet the needs of the new set.

Speaking of experience: aim for a release date a week _before_ NoR. Then prepare for one or two weeks of "fixing whatever LSJ broke this time around" phase.

development plan.

1. Create scripts and readmes that will allow the building of ardb to be easier on Windows platforms.

Number One priority, right.

In part trasnforming data from flat-file (the WW CSV files) to a well-formed 3NF database can be tricky, if you going to do it programmatically.

Yeah, tell me about it. ;)
Anyway, right now the database isn't 3NF, because ARDB didn't absolutely need that. Besides, Meshee is already complaining about the complexity. ;P

We also want to look into ways the code can be self-expanding (handling new disciplines and clans without adding lines to the code).

This is done already, I implemented it for Legacies of Blood.
Unless LSJ goes real real wild and breaks everything with Nights of Reckoning, you should have little work with new Clans and Disciplines, as they should normally appear in ARDB without any work at all (except for discipline icons, of course).

We really need to worry about this stuff *after* we get an ARDB that will handle NoR. Is everyone agreed on that?

It seems like a good plan, Karl.

--
Francois Gombault
I WILL REMEMBER TO TAKE MY MEDICATION -- Bart Simpson on chalkboard