alsa-xmms-user

Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Runtime problems and 24 bit question

From: Mattam
Subject: Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Runtime problems and 24 bit question
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:57:01 +0200

Le 17 May 2002 21:19:05 +0200, Thomas Eriksson a écrit:

>As a newbie debian user (and oldtime slackware user) I recently
>discovered that the alsa-xmms plugin did compile well -
>
>thou made xmms spit out this message in the console
>(%gnu is my prompt)
>
>%gnu xmms
>xmms: simple.c:1065: snd_mixer_selem_get_id: Assertion `elem && id'
>failed.
>Aborted
>%gnu
>
>and then die...

Probably a permission missing on /dev/sound/?. BTW, did you ran the snd-devices
script inside alsa-driver/ (source)? You must do it if you don't use devfs.
Also if you use devfs, simply check the permissions.

>for my second question I'm wondering if alsa-xmms is able to do 24 bit
>pcm output (when eg. using the xmms-mad plugin) or is there a limitation
>to 16 bit in the design of xmms? just curious

There are only 8/16 bit (un)signed mono or stereo formats available for xmms,
sorry. Perhaps you might want to try alsa-player which must support similar
functionalities.