aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: cd recorders

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: cd recorders
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:24:50 +0530

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:07:51PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > Perhaps I should state again that I am only considering emotions
> > which are due to a cognitive process.  To limit things further, I do
> > not entertain _any_ cognitive process but only a specific cognitive
> > process which is characterized by the key questions of the Aleader
> > classification system.
>
> I should read the papers again to be sure, but my impression is that
> this needs to be made clearer in the papers.

Now that you point it out, I agree with your impression.  I need
to cut & paste a lightly edited part of this discussion into
the paper.

> > What I need you to do is burn the CD and take a look at it.
>
> Okay.  It sounds like I should resist more email communication
> in favor of getting the darned CD thing working.   Feel free to
> noodle me every couple of days.  The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
> Stay tuned...If you know US prices, how much are linux compatible
> CD burners?

+ The cheap ones attach with an IDE cable (as opposed to the more
costly SCSI interface).  IDE CD drivers talk the ATAPI protocol.

+ Linux support for the USB interface is not very mature yet.
Don't buy a USB writer.

+ I recommend Burn-Free or Burn-Proof or the Buffer Underrun
Protection feature.  Don't buy a writer without one of these.

Wow, stuff is really cheap these days.  pricewatch.com is quoting
around $35 including shipping:

  http://www.pricewatch.com/1/210/4956-1.htm

If you buy via the Internet out-of-state (not Texas) then you
don't pay taxes (unless the law changed recently).

> Are they plug and play these days or do I need to
> compile a device driver I download from the net or something like
> that.

You can verify driver-model compatibility, but my experience is
that driver support is very good.  Linux will talk to just about
any modern ATAPI CD Writer these days.

The drivers are bundled with the kernel.  You don't need to go
hunting for them on the web.  Let's see ... do _not_ turn on
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD.  For a CD writer, you must run it in
SCSI emulation mode.  It may be enough to enable these two
config options for kernel 2.4.20:

  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI
  CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG

Read the doc in your kernel configuration program for more
details.  And

  apt-get install cdrecord

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org