aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: dissertation feedback

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: dissertation feedback
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:38:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:57:13PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > > + Study 3 with the computer model is _incredible_.  That's exactly
> > > what I want to do.  Wow!
> >
> > Great.  It is a nice feeling to have someone appreciate this.
>
> Heh, am I the only one?  Seriously, how many people recognize the
> importance of your work?

Well, when people ask me about my dissertation, 99% of them say, "So when
will it be done?".  I have not really done anything to try to publish it,
or some piece of it but I hope to soon.  Likewise, I have not made mention
of it (save perhaps one email a year or two ago) on any email lists tho I
probably should.  My committee thought it was important enough to pass it.
But none of them are really interested in appraisal theory.  Andrew Ortony
saw me give a talk on it and seemed to really like it and over beers
later that night said that I should visit NWU but nothing has since come
of it.  Roz Picard also had nice things to say based on my talk.  Is this
just politeness, enthusiasm or was it real?  Who knows.  But I'll press on
in due coarse.

> > Intellectual property issues also should play a role in the decision.
> > OpenCyc is, if memory serves, lesser gpl (whatever that is) and I don't
> > know what KM is like.
>
> I see that KM is protected under the GPL.  That's a big vote
> in favor of KM.

Okay.

This is probably obvious but just in case, that listing of pros and cons
of Cyc vs KM was pretty off the cuff.  I'm sure I'll think of other
factors as time goes by.

> > Bear in mind that I am a partial owner of Cycorp but I strive to look at
> > things fairly and objectively.
>
> Wow, that's cool.  If you don't mind me asking, how much interest
> do you have?  Cycorp has built up such a gigantic investiment in
> ontology, it must be worth something.

I can only hope so.  But sometimes I worry that they are so restrictive
of intellectual property (viz LGPL of OpenCyc and the fact that OpenCYc
is such a small fraction of Full Cyc) that they squelch innovation.

Through the grapevine I heard that someone from LA bought 100,000 shares
at $10/share during summer 2001.

I am a little wary of telling precisely how much I own.  I was employed
when the company was founded.  Technically, I doubt I am a "founder", but
I have the sense I do own a lot more shares than most recent hires.