adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] What to do with artwork "sources"?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] What to do with artwork "sources"?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:14:13 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2009/1/21 Kai Sterker <address@hidden>:

>> However, with Ingo making all these portraits, I have about 15M of the
>> original, hi-res portraits lying around.
>
> All are available at (and when you check that out you know why narrow
> cloning really would be nice to have, see other mail):
>
> git clone http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/vegastrike.git/

That's good to know for a start. I just wouldn't want them to get lost
somehow :-).

>> Seeing how much space is used up by the portraits alone, I don't
>> really want to keep them in CVS. On berlios.de, where the Wiki is
>> hosted, we're also pretty much near our maximum quota.
>
> Does Berlios have a quota? I have been pretty abusive with my other
> projects and so far not run into trouble.

At least for the webspace. With the Wiki and the API docs, I already
managed to exceed it when updating stuff and leaving a backup lying
around. They might not have any limitations for SVN in place.

> Anyway, one of the problems with Berlios is that its not exactly the
> best maintained service, their SVN version for example is completey
> out of date, which makes backing up the SVN repo a little tricky.
>
> So there might be better services around to start a new SVN repo,
> code.google looks decent enough, featuring a 1GB quota at the moment,
> not sure if they have any problem with pure media projects.

Wouldn't want to open up yet another project somewhere for Adonthell
:-). Savannah would be fine for hosting a repository, if that's the
place where those gfx should go. And it looks like there might even be
a way to keep them in git, but separate from the code. See my last
mail about git.

However, it would probably also make sense to keep processed gfx and
originals separate as well, especially as the resolution of originals
might be much larger than those that end up in the game.

Kai