adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:18:25 +0100 (CET)

On 08 Feb 2002 22:36:59 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote

> The OpenGL bindings should be usuable, but I haven't tested yet. I just
> hope they will be included directly into SDL soon. And you're right,
> translucency is a lot slower than transparency, which can heavily be
> accelerated (via MMX instructions for instance).

Too bad my old box has no MMX ;P.

> Changing the graphics on the fly would be a huge operation. I can well
> see the potential of putting an additionnal layer to simulate night, or
> weather effect - that would be applied after the map rendering. But as
> for modifying objects directly... I don't know. I'd say it's too far to
> tell whether it's reasonnably possible or not.

I made that suggestion once way back, but incase you don't rember:
What if you modify the graphic objects directly? I.e. you change the
object in memory once and continue drawing as usual.

Such functionality had to be tied to our graphic objects though. For
example, they might need a flag telling whether they are currently
visible, so you can limit the updating to objects that are visible and
not up-to-date yet. (Which means the object would also need to store
it's current tint, saturation and brightness).

You then could compare those 3 values with the global settings and
check whether they match. If not, you update it once, otherwise you
just draw it. I think that might be faster than an additional layer.

To allow special handling for some objects (like the leaves), each object
could have an additional modifier independent of the global settings.

Just an idea though.

Kai