adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request
Date: 08 Feb 2002 22:36:59 +0100

> I guess the question here is whether we are able to get some hw
> acceleration or not. Alex, are you following the goings on with that
> SDL <-> 2D OpenGL binding? Besides, I think transperency isn't so much the
> problem. Graphics that are translucent (i.e. have an alpha != 255) eat
> more CPU methinks.

The OpenGL bindings should be usuable, but I haven't tested yet. I just
hope they will be included directly into SDL soon. And you're right,
translucency is a lot slower than transparency, which can heavily be
accelerated (via MMX instructions for instance).

> > I don't know about seperating trunks and treetops. Perhaps not on every
> > tree but we can off some that have that capability. As for the leaves: I
> > was hoping the mapengine will be able to change the hue of graphics on
> > the fly (once we add weather/season fx) and so I though of making leaf
> > gfx as if it was summer and come autumn they just get turned orangy (if
> > this is done on the fly we can have a smoother transition too - it could
> > fade from one to the other over say one game week) by the engine. As
> > winter begins the leaf gfx could just fade out gradually and if there
> > hapens to be snow we fade in a snow pic for that tree (made so it
> > matches the branches of the tree). That way trees only need one leaf
> > graphic and one snow one AND you get nicer transitions.
>
> Yes, that would be really neat :). More worries for Alex, I fear.

Well, nothing can amaze me anymore, you know ;)
Changing the graphics on the fly would be a huge operation. I can well
see the potential of putting an additionnal layer to simulate night, or
weather effect - that would be applied after the map rendering. But as
for modifying objects directly... I don't know. I'd say it's too far to
tell whether it's reasonnably possible or not.

> >> Oh, and the leaves could be animated, as if they were moving in the
> >> wind :).
> >
> > By all means :) That could be controlled by python right? So if there's
> > no wind it just stays on one frame but in bad weather it plays the anim.
>
> Yes, that should be possible. Would indeed be cool if the wind would not
> blow all the times. There could also be the odd gust, shaking the leaves
> for a few seconds. I think that would even make a better effect than an
> evergoing animation :).

Yeah, and with just a bit of Python ;)

Alex.

--