wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] wxruby compiled

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] wxruby compiled
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:44:42 -0800

repeater wrote:

> greetings
>
> i've finally managed to get the cvs sources going (a feat for me, a VC++
> novice)
> and i'm impressed by the example, the little closing error aside.

Congratulations.

> but as i am trying to port another example app, i get the impression that
> there is still some way to go.

Oh, yes!

> so i'd like to contribute a bit, if my skills don't prove to be too
> primitive

We would love to have some extra help.

I'm afraid I can't answer your why-did-you-do-this type of question because
the initial port was donated to the wxRuby project by Park Heesob and
neither I nor Bob Calco sis the actual work. I have done a small amount of
work (mostly on the make system & VC++ project), but have not fully studied
Park's work.

Work on wxRuby has been on hold since October while I/we have focused on
getting the first release of FreeRIDE out the door. The original motivation
for starting wxRuby was and still is because we need it for FreeRIDE (unless
FOX somehow acquires the missing pieces of functionality that FreeRIDE
needs).

As you have discovered, we currently have a very basic version of wxRuby
working under Windows (but with bugs), and it has not yet been ported/tested
on any other platform. We also just discovered an alternative to SWIG called
Cable (http://public.kitware.com/Cable/HTML/Index.html) that looks like it
might be much better and less labor intensive than SWIG, so we are going to
evaluate the possibility of switching to Cable as an interface generation
tool. Doing so would set us back at first, but pay off down the road.

If you are interested in joining the project, perhaps you would be
interested in checking out Cable to see if we can use it in place of SWIG.

Curt