wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Similarity of --output-file/-o and --output-document/-O (#67

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Similarity of --output-file/-o and --output-document/-O (#675)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2024 17:36:21 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/675#note_2019562843

I feel your pain and agree that `-o/--output-file` and `-O/--output-document`
are somewhat confusing. But we can not easily change existing options because
backwards compatibility to wget is required (as good as possible).

Instead of using `-o test --clobber=off` consider using `-a` instead of `-o`.
It appends the log output to the given file instead of overwriting it. Maybe
you can train your memory muscle to `-a` and wipe `-o` from it.

What we can do in the long term is adding `--log-file` as an alias for
`--output-file` and mark the latter as deprecated.

Guessing that the user meant `-O` instead of `-o` seems to be a rabbit hole.

Asking the user would possibly break existing scripts. And running a script in
an interactive shell doesn't mean that the user is looking at the screen all
the time. A long running script, where wget2 suddenly asks for user input is
likely to break more things than it heals.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/675#note_2019562843