wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Implement HTTP/3 support using QUIC (#553)

From: Momoka Y (@momoka0122y)
Subject: Re: wget2 | Implement HTTP/3 support using QUIC (#553)
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:33:18 +0000

Momoka Y commented:

@rockdaboot Hi. I'm sorry I haven't communicated with you for a long time. I am
still interested in working on implementing HTTP/3 on wget2.

I am currently trying to write a simple C code to get the html of a site with
HTTP/3 using ngtcp2 as practice to understand how to make QUIC connections
using ngtcp2. I'm writing this using ngtcp2's example code
[simpleclient.c](https://github.com/ngtcp2/ngtcp2/blob/main/examples/simpleclient.c)
 as a reference.
[simpleclient.c](https://github.com/ngtcp2/ngtcp2/blob/main/examples/simpleclient.c)
 uses libev but I am trying to create my practice code without using libev
because wget2 did not seem to be doing asynchronous processing (am I wrong
here?)

I have also been looking through the wget code and trying to understand how the
code is working. My understanding is that a file defining QUIC functions
libwget/quic.c should be created (it may need to be split into other files
since the code may get large, such as libwget/quic_ssl) and those QUIC
functions should be used in libwget/http.c and libwget/net.c to replace the tcp
functions when wget2 is used with an option to enable HTTP/3. For example
creating a ```get_quic_init()``` , ```wget_quic_write()``` function to replace
```get_tcp_init()``` , ```wget_tcp_write()``` when QUIC is enabled. I
understand that it is not as simple as I mentioned above because not all
wget_tcp functions can be converted to QUIC functions on a one-to-one basis.

I am still trying to figure out how wget2 works and how QUIC works. I think
I'll dive deeper into the wget2 code once I have finished making my practice
QUIC html getting code.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/553#note_760264991