wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Add TLS 1.3 post-handshake authentication (!418)

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Add TLS 1.3 post-handshake authentication (!418)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 08:00:50 +0000

> I was wondering about how to change the emails in the previously merged
> commits.

That is not possible without changing history (in branch master). And changing
history will break synchronicity will all the checked-out repos out there.

But you can change history within your private branches, but it needs a force
push after that.

> It doesn't seem worth creating a separate merge request for, and my local
> branch is not up-to-date with those merges.

There is a simple workflow for this in two steps. I use that on a daily basis
for all my cloned projects.

1. Sync your clones (local and Gitlab) with upstream
Your repo normally is a clone of your Gitlab clone (which is a so-called remote
named 'origin', see `git remote`). Now you add another remote for the upstream
repo with `git remote add upstream https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2.git`.

>From now on, you can easily (and regularly) sync your repo with upstream:
```
git checkout master
git pull --all --prune
git merge --ff-only upstream/master
git push
```
If you can't merge without errors, you likely changed something in branch
master (which you should avoid).

2. Rebase your working-branch and push (updates MR)
```
git checkout tmp-post-handshake-auth
git rebase master
git push --force-with-lease
```

This takes away manual work from the maintainer. The pipeline should go green
so we can use the Gitlab UI to proceed (merge the MR).

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/418#note_164094128