viewmail-info

Re: [VM] vm-save-message-hook?

From: Robert Adesam
Subject: Re: [VM] vm-save-message-hook?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 22:15:50 +0200

Hi Rene,

>>>>> "r" == rene  <address@hidden> writes:
r> For the time being what I do is

r>  1. vm-save-message the email to the destination folder
r>  2. vm-visit-folder destination
r>  3. open that email
r>  4. org-capture + org-store-link to that email

r> It's a bit painful.

yes that was similar to what I did, before I discovered mairix and
orgmode's link types. Kudos to Uday Reddy who hinted this solution to
me back in 2011.

r> I would rather have use an org-capture template that would let me
r>  a. chose the destination folder for the current email
r>  b. and create a new task with the right destination link stored.

After setting up a working mairix and mairix mode, I wrote a new
link type. See my blog posts from 2011/2012

http://robert-adesam.blogspot.se/2012/06/org-mode-vm-mairix-link-type-evolved.html

http://robert-adesam.blogspot.se/2011/07/orgmode-capture-to-insert-mairix-link.html

So when capturing a task from a message in vm, a link with a mairix
search using the message id will be created.

Now following/opening that link via orgmode will execute a mairix
search and you will get the mairix-search-file in vm with that
message, well actually the whole thread as mairix sees it.

Note that I am not longer runing (mairix-update-databse) in the link
type function, but updating the mairix databse via cron...

Hope this helps, it's now a very important part in my everyday work.

yours,
/robert

--
ROBERT ADESAM, Systems and Research Engineer
Department of Philosophy, Linguistics, and Theory of Science