viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Using VM for 19 years, still can't solve "iconv: (stdin):21:31:

From: Alan Wehmann
Subject: Re: [VM] Using VM for 19 years, still can't solve "iconv: (stdin):21:31: cannot convert"
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:13:47 -0500

On 10/28/2013 10:22 AM, Uday Reddy wrote:
edburns writes:

Os: SunOS foo 5.10 Generic_144489-05 i86pc i386 i86pc
Emacs: 21.4 (patch 22) \"Instant Classic\" XEmacs Lucid
vm: 8.0.12-devo-585

If you pick up the current beta version of XEmacs, you probably won't need
iconv.  It will know how to deal with MIME character sets.

vm 8.0.12-devo-585 seems like quite an old unofficial version of VM.  Please
get vm 8.1.12 from the VM home page.

---

There are probably quite a few VM users, but they are generally passive,
just as you have been.  So, we don't hear from them.  VM has had the
appearance of a dying creed because of this lack of participation by the VM
community.  I am not sure if open source projects can survive for very long
without having a band of enthusiastic supporters who carry the flag and
evangelize.

We all have to put in some amount of effort, depending on what we can
afford.  Upgrading your software at least once a year and checking the
mailing list periodically would qualify as the minimum required.

Cheers,
Uday

I moved from Emacs 19.34 to XEmacs and then back to Emacs 23 (I won't explain the reasons why). I went from Rmail to VM. I've used Compuserve email, then Eudora, now Thunderbird for personal email (my wife's too). I once was a Gnus user (for newsgroups) and even learned how to set Gnus up for mail via SSL. I am an enthusiastic supporter of VM. My experience in switching back, from XEmacs to Emacs, was very positive--in hindsight. I'd venture to guess that a serious VM user is better off with Emacs, than with XEmacs--based on my experience. I suspect that those who delve into the VM code nowadays are using Emacs much more than XEmacs.

--
Alan Wehmann
address@hidden