viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:34:59 -0400

Kyle> I did a bit more playing around and the "filed" flag is a red
Kyle> herring.  It's really any label that the imap server doesn't
Kyle> recognize that causes issue.

Right.  I think most IMAP servers will just accept the labels, and
then just discard them at the end of the session.  The IMAP spec says
"Should" for this.  MS probably decided to not bother since they
didn't have to meet the spec with it.  To quote RFC3501:

   A keyword is defined by the server implementation.  Keywords do not
   begin with "\".  Servers MAY permit the client to define new keywords
   in the mailbox (see the description of the PERMANENTFLAGS response
   code for more information).

And reading more seems to say that if the "OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (
....)]" result you see on login doesn't include \*, then you can't
create new flags.  So probably VM should be patched to notice which
flags are allowed and to only use them.

For example, my login shows:

   * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
   -- connected for checkmail
   VM CAPABILITY
   * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=NTLM AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
   UIDPLUS CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+
   VM OK CAPABILITY completed.
   VM LOGIN <parameters omitted>
   VM OK LOGIN completed.
   VM SELECT "inbox"
   * 2222 EXISTS
   * 0 RECENT
   * FLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft $MDNSent)
   * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft
   $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
   * OK [UNSEEN 2199] Is the first unseen message
   * OK [UIDVALIDITY 5840] UIDVALIDITY value
   * OK [UIDNEXT 122141] The next unique identifier value
   VM OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed.
   VM LOGOUT
   * BYE Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 IMAP4 server signing off.
   VM OK LOGOUT completed.

which tells me that MS doesn't want to support extra flags.

Kyle> I was wondering why my deleted messages where getting cleared,
Kyle> then I realized what was happening: I'd read, reply, file, and
Kyle> delete my mail.  Messages are marked "\deleted" and "filed" (or
Kyle> another imap label Exchange doesn't recognize such as "junk").
Kyle> Since Exchange can't store the flag, the command fails so none
Kyle> of the flags are being stored.  VM then syncs flags from the
Kyle> server, so my deleted flag is cleared from my inbox since the
Kyle> server rejected the store command.

I just tried changing the 'filed' flag as set in vm-imap.el to \filed,
but my simple attempt at hacking failed and didn't seem to make a
difference.

Kyle> Attempting to store any flag the server doesn't recognize is
Kyle> causing none of the flags to be stored.  I would guess the right
Kyle> thing for VM to do would be only attempt to store flags that are
Kyle> explicitly recognized by the server.

I wonder if VM could be taught to use the