viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Are there plans to release 8.2?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Are there plans to release 8.2?
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 13:11:21 +0100

John Stoffel writes:

> Sorry, my fault.  I was trying to come up with a repeatable test case
> that was easy to show the problem.  I *seems* to be because I do:
>
> - vm-visit-imap-folder
>   - read a message
>   - file the message to a *local* folder.
>   - then expunge any changes with vm-expunge-folder followed by
>     vm-save-folder.  It's the vm-save-folder which seems to try to
>     update the imap flags.  Exchange fails the update command and
>     vm doesn't seem to properly flush all the changes.
>
> But it's not quite clear to me what the root cause is.  I'll try to
> get a test case for you, to make it more clear what's going on.

We already know that the "root cause" is that your Exchange server is
violating the IMAP standard.  I have quoted the standard to you in the last
exchange.  (See below.)  You should be complaining to the people that run
your Exchange server, not me.  You should also go back and re-read the old
thread, and continue the discussion there, not in this thread.

What I have asked from you is a *precise description* of what goes wrong
with VM as a result of this problem.  "doesn't seem to properly flush all
the changes" is too vague to tell me anything.

Cheers,
Uday

--------

The IMAP standard (RFC 3501) says:

   59) It is not an error for the client to store a flag that is not in
   the PERMANENTFLAGS list; however, the server will either ignore the
   change or make the change in the session only.

So, unfortunately, your Exchange server is not adhering to the standard.
Please do complain to whoever is running your Exchange server.

All that I can do is to make VM resilient so that it carries on regardless
of the error messages.  So, what happens after these error messages arise?
Does VM break in some way?

Cheers,
Uday