viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Are there plans to release 8.2?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Are there plans to release 8.2?
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 12:31:57 +0100

John Stoffel writes:

> But this all just ignores my root question, why don't you release what
> you have now as 8.2.0c so we can see what's coming down the pike?
> Release early and often!

Because I have already mentioned that I didn't have spare time.

"Spare time" is what free software depends on, which is both its strength as
well as its weakness.  To benefit from free software, users should be
willing to spend enough effort of their own, to understand how things work,
to read user manuals and to figure out how to get around problems.

There is no such thing as "8.2.0c".  The "a" suffix (short for alpha-testing
release) is for asking people "down the hall" to test out new software.  The
"b" suffix (short for beta-testing release) is for asking users to try out a
preview of a new release and report problems that should be fixed before the
eventual release.  Recently people started doing another stage called
"release candidate" which follows beta releases.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release

What happened with 8.2.0 line is that I thought I was ready to go to
beta-testing stage which, in retrospect, wasn't right.  So, perhaps I should
process.

The problems you reported with the 8.2.0b had easy work-arounds and, so,
weren't critical.  They were not reason enough to rush things.

Cheers,
Uday