viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Newbie emacs/imap question

From: blueman
Subject: Re: [VM] Newbie emacs/imap question
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:36:35 -0400

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

> blueman writes:
>
>> From what I have seen, most of the vm-imap documentation seems to be the
>> reverse setup where people want to use vm/imap as a client to read their
>> google email from a google (or other remote) server. Instead, I want to
>> use a remote non-vm mail reader to read my vm mail remotely from my
>> droid.
>
> Indeed, VM is a mail *reader*, not a mail server.  To do what you want, you
> would want to set up an IMAP server on your home machine.  If you do web
> search for "IMAP server", you can find a number of IMAP servers that you
> would be able to install on a home machine.  I think many Linux
> distributions also include such IMAP servers.  There is also a program
> called 'offlineimap' which can synchronize your home IMAP server with a
> remote one.

Unfortunately, I still use 'mbox' mode and offlineimap seems to only
work with maildir -- otherwise it seems like a great idea

> You might then set up your VM on your home machine to either (i) download
> mail from the IMAP server into your local folders, or (ii) read it directly
> from the IMAP server using server folders.

I think #2 is closest to my needs.

Couple of additional questions:
1. Is there a companion function to vm-imap-move-mail that moves mail in
   the opposite direction -- from a VM folder to an IMAP mail box?

2. Is there a way to get the 'FCC' copy to go to an imap folder?

Thanks